To succeed with these recipes at home it is not necessary to complicate too much, but if we want them to be a success and have a really good time we can also invest in certain utensils that will prevent us from resorting to ready-made industrial products.
Mexican recipes to share at home
Flour tortillas for fajitas
- Ingredients. 250 g of normal wheat flour, 50 ml of olive oil or margarine, 125 ml of warm water, approximately 6 g of salt, 2 g of chemical yeast.
- Development. We sift the flour with the salt and the yeast, add the margarine in small pieces and mix until there is a kind of crumb. If we use olive oil we join it normally. Little by little, we pour the warm water, adjusting the necessary amount little by little. The dough should be slightly sticky but manageable. We form a ball, divide into equal parts, cover them with film and let them rest for about 30 minutes. We stretch each with a roller or a tortilla. We heat a pan by lightly greasing it if we do not have comal. When it is very hot we throw the tortilla and as soon as it swells and bubbles on the surface we turn it over. We repeat the operation with the rest of the dough. We consume as soon as possible with the filling we prefer.
Tacos al pastor
- Ingredients for 12 units. 500 g of pork needle meat, 50 ml of pineapple juice, 2 teaspoons ground cayenne or hot pepper, 3 teaspoons achiote paste, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon ground cumin , 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 35 ml white wine vinegar, 1/2 white onion, 1/2 pineapple, 1 lime, fresh cilantro, 12 corn tortillas.
- Elaboration. We cut the meat into pieces of about 2 cm. In a deep bowl, mix the cayenne, achiote, garlic, oregano, cumin, vinegar, pineapple juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the meat, stir well and marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours. Preheat the oven to 180º C. Cut the pineapple into cubes and skewer the pineapple alternating with the pork in wooden skewers. Place on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the meat is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let stand a few minutes. Meanwhile, cut the onion into small pieces and heat the tortillas in a pan. Remove the skewers and cut the meat and pineapple into small pieces. We serve on the tortillas, with a few pieces of onion, some fresh cilantro, and some lime wedges.
Corn tortillas for tacos
- Ingredients. 175 g of nixtamalized instant cornmeal for tortillas, 3 g of salt, approximately 265 ml of warm water.
- Elaboration. Mix the flour in a bowl with the salt. Add the water little by a little while stirring with your fingers. The dough should be soft, that when pressed with a finger it keeps the shape and we can make balls. We divide the dough into small balls according to the size we want the tortillas. We crush them lightly and if we have a press or tortilla, which is what they use in Mexico to crush the dough, we will do it, if we can’t, we place the ball between two pieces of film and crush it with something that has weight or with a roller. The important thing is that they should be as thin as possible, just a few millimeters. We dump it with the help of the film on the hand and put it on the griddle or iron that will be very hot. We wait a minute or two and we will see how a kind of bubbles form on the surface, we turn around and finish doing. We can take a third-round if we want to make them better. We repeat the operation with the rest of the dough and consume as soon as possible.
Mexican beef tacos
- Ingredients . 8 Mexican tortillas, 4 beef steaks, 1 envelope of Mexican spices, 150 ml of water, 1 tomato, 1 avocado, 1 can of cooked corn, salt.
- Elaboration. Roll the fillets on themselves and cut them into discs, to quickly make the strips that also remain with the perfect shape. We fry them in a pan, then add the envelope of Mexican seasoning spices and water. Cook until there is practically no water left in the pan. We taste and rectify salt, reserving until serving time. Cut the tomatoes and avocados into taquitos and place them in different bowls to make it easier for everyone to serve them later. Drain the can of corn and put it in another bowl. It is also a good idea to bring sauces, melting cheese etc so that tacos can be customized. We can add other ingredients such as peppers in strips, lettuce, onion, jalapeños or habanero peppers if we like spicy foods. Heat the tortillas for a few seconds in the pan or microwave.
Chipotle cream chicken fajitas
- Ingredients for 2 people . 2 chicken breasts, 1 colored pepper, 1 onion, 2 chipotle peppers in the marinade, 250 ml of cream (light cream), 150 ml of milk, 5 g of granulated garlic, salt, ground black pepper.
- Development. Cut the chicken breasts into strips about 8 cm long. We also cut the onion into julienne. Open the pepper, remove the seeds and cut also in julienne. We heat the oil in a pan and brown the chicken for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add the pepper and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For the creamy chipotle sauce, we place 2-3 chili peppers in the glass of a blender. Add the milk, cream, garlic powder and salt to taste. Blend well until you get a somewhat thick creamy sauce. We empty this preparation in the pan, stir, lower the fire to a minimum and leave an additional 10 minutes.
- Ingredients . 2 ripe avocados, 1 small tomato, 100 g onion, 1 jalapeño pepper (optional), 20 fresh coriander leaves 1/2 lime, salt.
- Development. Chop the onion and chili in fine brunoise. Scald the tomato in boiling water for 20-30 seconds and cool it in ice water. We peel it, cut in half, remove the seeds and chop the meat into small dice. We wash the coriander and chop it finely with a sharp knife without crushing the leaves. We squeeze the juice of the half lime. Cut the avocados in half and remove the bones. We take out the meat, introduce it in a large bowl or mortar and crush it. We add the above ingredients: onion, chili, tomato, cilantro, and half lime juice. Season to taste.
- Ingredients for 4 units. 150 gr. of canned tuna, 2 or 3 ripe tomatoes, 1 red onion, 4 slices of cheddar cheese, 1/2 lemon, 4 corn tortillas, and some grated Emmental cheese.
- Development. The first thing is to cut the onion and tomatoes into small pieces, season them well with a little salt and pepper and add the juice of half a lemon or lime. We also drain the canned tuna and add it to the mixture. We place a quarter of the mixture in the center of each tortilla, add the cheddar cheese cut into strips, carefully roll them up and place them on a baking sheet. Grate some Emmental cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes at 200º C.